Saturday, April 05, 2008

Patriotic?

Is my Japanese wife more patriotic than I am (as in an American patriot, not a Japanese patriot)? Let me elaborate.

Since we got married June of last year, this was the first time we had the option of "married filing jointly" when filing our taxes. I went through all of the paperwork and found we'd be getting a return close to $3000 - roughly two-thirds of that being from my wife's withholdings, one-third being the savings for filing "married filing jointly" as opposed to "married filing separately", and the portion from my withholdings being nearly negligible.

From one perspective, a large return is bad since it basically means you've given the government an interest free loan over the course of the last year. Or can sacrificing the interest/returns you could have made on that money for the greater good of the country be seen as patriotic?

If so, that would make my wife more patriotic than me.

No comments: