Sunday, January 11, 2009

Hayai!

During our travels in Japan we rode the "bullet train" (shinkansen) a few times.  One of the shinkansen we rode was "Hayate" to get us to Tokyo on our journey home.  According to Wikipedia, Hayate has a top speed of 275 km/h...that's 172 mph!

While standing on the platform one day while waiting for our train, there were several other shinkansen that passed through the station without stopping.  I doubt they're going the full 172 mph when they go through a station, but they're moving along pretty well.  It's enough to give you a rush (and enough for my wife to tell me to step further back on the platform, despite the boyish grin on my face).  A video doesn't quite do it justice, but check out this video to get a feel for it: Video of Hayate Passing Through Fukushima Station.

(By the way, hayai! = fast!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

All I can say is "Hayai" & keep your toes tucked in!Very impressive.