Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Bicycle

In my previous post I mentioned that I was nervous about speaking Japanese during my trip to Japan.  I found that it came back fairly easily.  This just reaffirmed what I already knew - the best way to study/learn a language is to travel to the country where that language is spoken and immerse yourself in it.

I also found it interesting that despite the fact that I haven't done any serious Japanese language study in over three years that my listening comprehension has improved significantly.  I could better understand tv shows and even the scratchy announcements by the conductor over train PA systems than when I was last in Japan three years ago.  A few people even mentioned that they thought my Japanese is better than it was three years ago.

I suppose some of the credit needs to go to my wife since her influence allows me more exposure to Japanese than I would have otherwise.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is so great when something actually turns out to be easier than you think it will be.
Maybe this helps make up a little for the travel difficulties. :-)